25 days of Watercolor with Katie

 I haven't picked up my watercolors in a while because most of my studio had been packed up getting ready for the move to the new space. Now that I am in my new space and I have the room to spread all of my supplies out I wanted to get back to working with more traditional art mediums instead of just working digitally. So 25 days of watercolor was born. I pulled out all of my paints and felt a little bit overwhelmed with all the choices and so I decided to choose 4 colors and create art with a limited color palette. 

Katie Cannon Designs Watercolor with a limited color palette

This is the first one that I created when I was trying out the colors. I liked that even though there were no primary colors in this group that I could mix a wide range of colors and get both a green and a lavender color with these.  So the journey of creating new images with watercolors began. 
Katie Cannon Designs Watercolor butterfly with a limited color palette

This butterfly started out with just blobs of color in the shape of a butterfly and then I took a pen and added the floral detail to add the details to this piece. It was very fun to create and I really enjoyed creating the color as well as the line work. I added the pink color to the background to help ground the piece. 

Katie Cannon Designs Watercolor floral number 2 with a limited color palette

For this floral painting I wanted to get a few green colors for the leaves to be able to add depth and flow to the piece. I thought that working with these different elements would be a fun way to add texture as well. Other than the greens this piece used the colors pretty much straight out of the pans. I added the pen lines after the piece was dry to enhance the outlines. 

Katie Cannon Designs Limited color palette watercolor florals number 3

For this third piece I kept the composition pretty much the same as the previous one but changed up the styles of the florals and berries. I mixed a different green colors as well as a lavender color for this piece to add interest. There is a video on my YouTube channel showing my process in a time-lapse and it shows how I start with a pencil sketch to decided on the placement of the elements and then move to watercolor and finally ink. 
Katie Cannon Designs Paint with me YouTube Thumbnail

You can click on the image about to watch the video our you can click here. 

I hope you are having a wonderful week and I will see you back here soon.






Comments